Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Three Autistic Sons

An interview with T. Lynn Lewis, the author of Jasmine’s World Of Autism: At The Seawall, from the Special Needs Book Review:
Nonverbal is when a person is unable to speak. Michael and Jimi are both nonverbal. They use a communication device (iPad/Tablet with an AAC app) to speak. Michael will mimic words and may say a few in context. However, he is unable to hold a conversation. Jimi does not say a word. However, he has a vast vocabulary, they each do.

Wyatt has been speaking much more in the past year. He taught himself to speak by using Google Search. He began searching his favourite toys and one day he said to me, “ Mum, come here, look at this.” and pointed to his computer. Naturally, I looked and there was a picture of Thomas and friends on the screen. Then he says to me, “Can I have Thomas the tank engine please mom?” Of course I said, “Yes you can.” I was thrilled. I cannot tell you how blown away I was. That was the first time Wyatt had ever spoken a sentence to me. The next day Wyatt does the same thing and of course, I again said, “Yes you can.” However, after a few days of this I realize I cannot buy him a new toy every day so I told him, “Your birthday is coming soon, perhaps you will get it for your birthday.”  Wyatt then said to me, “OK in five minutes please?” I told him again, “ If you’re a good boy you may just get it for your birthday.” This time he says to me, “OK in 10 minutes please?” I again told him, “ We will have to see what happens for your birthday.” Wyatt replies, “OK tomorrow please mom?” I couldn’t believe that, not only was he speaking sentences to me, now he was actually negotiating with me. What a guy, I was thoroughly impressed. Wyatt also initiates play with his brothers and sister constantly, so they end up playing with each other more often than not. (Read more.)

No comments: